2018 Powys Business Awards Launched
Businesses from across Powys gathered in County Hall, Llandrindod Wells today for the launch of the county’s premier business awards.
The annual Powys Business Awards, which began in 2009, were launched today (Tuesday, June 5) with sponsors, judges and past finalists attending the event.
Cllr. Rosemarie Harris, Leader of Powys County Council, said: “The Powys Business Awards go have gone from strength to strength since they were launched and I’m delighted that Powys County Council continues to support them.
“The Powys Business Awards are now an important date in the business calendar and I would urge all businesses in the county to enter this year’s awards. They are an excellent way of highlighting the range and expertise of the county’s businesses.”
“Not only do these awards provide an excellent opportunity for the county’s businesses to raise their profiles, it gives us the chance to showcase their quality and celebrate their success”.
Economy Secretary, Ken Skates said:
“The Welsh Government is pleased to be sponsoring the Powys Business Awards again this year. The event serves to showcase the diversity and quality of businesses operating, growing and succeeding in Powys and I would encourage all businesses within the county to take a look at the breadth of award categories and consider entering.
“As a Welsh Government we remain committed to supporting business right across Wales and our recently launched Economic Action Plan is very much focussed on empowering Wales’s regions and ensuring that the fruits of prosperity fall much more evenly across Wales.”
This year sees a range of new categories added to recognise the diverse mix of business sectors located within the County including Small Business Growth, Best Tourism Business, Mentor of the Year in Hospitality & Lifestyle and Technology & Innovation.
The awards are an opportunity for all businesses, social enterprises and charities in Powys to compete for a chance to be a finalist no matter if they are large or small or if they are a new start-up or an existing business.
At the launch, organisers Mid Wales Manufacturing Group and Powys County Council announced the confirmed list of categories and sponsors for this year’s business awards.
Ceri Stephens, Group Manager for Mid Wales Manufacturing Group, said: “The Powys Business Awards provides a fantastic platform for businesses to raise their profile. Those who enter the awards are independently judged on their excellent standards.
“The awards also provides a public forum where finalists can gather in the presence of other business leaders and their peers to celebrate their success on the night.
“Winners on the night will also benefit from local publicity as the awards are covered by local and regional newspapers and broadcasters. Everyone who reaches the finals also has a free professionally made short film about their business which can be used in their publicity.”
Application forms are now available for the 2018 Powys Business Awards, which will culminate in a black-tie dinner being held in The Hafren, Newtown on Friday, September 28th.
The categories for the 2018 Powys Business Awards are:
- Start-up Business Award sponsored by The County Times
- Entrepreneurship Award sponsored by Welsh Government
- Outstanding Commitment to Training Award sponsored by NiBS Ltd
- Small Business Growth Award sponsored by Myrick Training
- Social Enterprise/ Charity Award sponsored by Mid Wales Housing Association Ltd
- Micro Business (Under 10 Employees) Award sponsored by The Cambrian News & Brecon & Radnor Express
- Excellence in Leadership & Management Award sponsored by Nidec Control techniques
- Mentor of the Year in Hospitality & Lifestyle sponsored by Cambrian Training Company
- Growth Award sponsored by Development Bank of Wales
- Small Business (Under 30 Employees) Award sponsored by Mid Wales Manufacturing Group
- International Trade Award sponsored by Lanyon Bowdler Solicitors
- Technology & Innovation Award sponsored by Trax JH Ltx
- Best Tourism Business Award sponsored by NPTC Group
- Business of the Year sponsored by Powys County Council
In addition to the above awards, the Judging Panel have a discretionary award called the Judges Award which is made each year to recognise some outstanding achievement or person that has come to the judge’s attention during their visits and which the strict criteria for the other awards does not recognise.
From the category winners the overall award for Powys Business of the Year 2018, is sponsored by Powys County Council.
Further details on all the awards can be found on the website www.powysbusinessawards.co.uk and deadline for submission of entries is Monday, July 9, 2018.